- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, divided
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Place baguette halves on a baking sheet; sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Top with 1/2 cup basil, mushroom mixture, tomatoes and remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Cut each portion into three slices.
Yield: 6 servings.
** I made this as an appetizer and it was a huge hit!