|2-¼||tsp fast acting yeast (or 1pkg)–I used Fleischmann’s Bread Machine Yeast|
|¼||c warm water (105°F-110°F)|
|1||c milk, just to scalding hot (do not simmer or boil)|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|3½||c bread flour (dough will be somewhat sticky, but the less you use, the lighter the rolls)|
|1||c whole wheat flour|
|¼||cup vital wheat gluten (optional)|
|2||T butter, melted, for brushing|
1) Dissolve yeast in 1/4c warm water. Stir in the 2tsp of sugar. Let sit for about 5 minutes until mixture foams up.
2) Heat milk in microwave or in small saucepan on stovetop.
3) Add sugar, butter, & salt to hot milk and stir until butter is melted. Cool to 105°F-110°F.
4) Pour milk mixture into bowl of stand mixer.
5) Add the yeast mixture & egg and mix together.
6) Mix in all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, & vital wheat gluten, beating to form a soft dough. Knead with mixer for 5 minutes, adding extra flour, if needed.
7) Place dough in warm oiled or buttered bowl, turning greased side up. Cover with parchment paper and let rise in warm place* until doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes.
8) Punch dough down and hand-knead for 5 minutes on lightly floured surface.
9) Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into round rolls. Place them, not touching, in greased 13×9×2 baking pan.
10) Cover with parchment paper & let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30-45 minutes.
11) Bake at 375°F for 18-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
12) Brush tops of rolls with melted butter.
You can use your oven as a dough incubator, turning it on to 400°F for one minute, then turning it off, and placing your bowl of dough in the oven for the two rising times.
—I also like place a pan of water on the bottom of my oven. I’ve read that mimics a convection oven and helps bread to bake moist.