1¼ cups all-purpose flour(6.25 oz)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1½ cups granulated sugar (10.5 oz)
½ cup packed light brown sugar (3.5 oz)
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Peanut Butter Swirl
½ cup (4 oz) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar (4 oz)
1½ cups creamy peanut butter (12 oz)
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Criss-cross two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil and line 13x9x2 baking pan. Lightly spray with oil spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and cocoa powder. Set it aside.
3. Place the chocolate, butter, and espresso powder in a large heat-proof bowl. Set the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water. Stir the chocolate/butter mixture occasionally until completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water. Add the sugars and whisk until completely combined. Remove the bowl from the pan. The mixture should be room temperature.
4. Add eggs and vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Using a rubber spatula gently fold in flour/cocoa powder mixture into the chocolate until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to smooth the top.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter swirl ingredients. Using a spoon or a tablespoon scoop, drop dollops of the peanut butter mixture over the top of the brownie batter. Using a butter knife, swirl the peanut butter and chocolate together, running the knife through the two batters. Smooth the top.
7. Bake for 30 minutes in the center of the oven, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it.
Let the brownies cool completely. Lift the brownies out of the pan using the foil handles. Cut into squares and serve.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Note: 12x24x2 steam pans can be used for large volume baking, double the recipe which yields 32 squares each pan.